Get the news right in your inbox!

A Tribute to my Mom

May 8, 2011 in misc., musings - 6 Comments - 2 min read

My mother is one of the bravest women I know.  Not only did she raise three daughters, each 18 months apart, (and survived), on a meager budget because she chose to stay home, but is currently fighting an incurable cancer with her head held high.  I’m not extremely eloquent with words, but I wanted to share with you some of the things I love about her and that she’s instilled in my life.  Unfortunately, many of these pictures are relatively recent, (the past 4 years), as I haven’t scanned in older pictures.

1.  She taught me to love camping.  However, it wasn’t until a couple of years ago that I could leave my make-up at home.  (She didn’t teach me that.)

2.  While I used to hate that she made my clothes when I was younger, (I wanted all the “cool” clothes my peers had), I loved that she made me dresses that fit perfectly when I was older.  She even made my bridesmaid dresses.

3.  There was always material around our house, and the bug finally caught me.  This is the second quilt I made, the first border I made quilting freehand.  (It’s a little hard to see, so the next picture has the close-up.)

4.  She gave me two, beautiful sisters whom I love very much.  They’re my best friends and I couldn’t imagine going through life without them.

5.  She made sure our family was close, even with our relatives.  We love getting together for any occasion.  Here was Christmas a couple of years ago, when my sister and grandmother flew out.

And here we are, with our other set of grandparents, playing one of our favorite games–Dummy Rummy.

6.  She is a fantastic mother and I can only hope to be that with my son.  I am thankful that I have such a great role model.

7.  She’s let me follow my dreams, and although sometimes they are a bit scattered and hair-brained, she’s supported me through it all.  (Even this side-business bakery, which she was sceptical at first.)

8.  She has left a lasting legacy with her marriage and family.  Thanks mom for all that you did for me and all that you are to me.  I love you more than words can say.

holly

Thanks for stopping by! I love baking and hope these recipes inspire you to create something wonderful in your kitchen. xoxo

All posts

6 Comments

• charlotte kruk December 16, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Cheers Holly…so nice to witness that tribute! …and 100% agreed…
    Aunt Janet is fantastic! (Uncle Don, not too bad either!) ..and you triplets are pretty cute cousins!

• holly December 17, 2012 at 6:33 am

Oh Char! You are definietly one of my favorite cousins. :) And your artwork inspires and amazes me. Love to see your new creations. :)

• Natalie May 9, 2011 at 10:37 pm

you got me teary eyed! So sweet!

• Noelle May 8, 2011 at 7:02 pm

That was sweet!

• Janet May 8, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words, I cried when I read it. I am so thanful for such a loving and kind daughter. Love Mom

• Katie Case May 8, 2011 at 6:52 am

Wow, Holly…that’s beautiful! Thanks for writing and sharing!

Top Posts

Llama Sugar cookies {tutorial}

About Me

Hello and welcome! I am so glad you're here. On this blog you'll find recipes for delicious desserts and sugar cookie inspiration. Pull up a chair and stay awhile! Read More

Holly

Categories

Instagram

Making Cranberry Orange Bread with my favorite little man! @glorioustreats —I love your recipe!!! Sorting through the fresh cranberries to find the plump ones was a job Matthew was up to. 😜 #baking #bakersofinstagram #cranberries #cranberryorangebread #bakingwithkids Saturday fun—making a lego city and a creating a valentine’s party for her dolls. #kidplay #dollplay #makebelieve Grace got braces today! And somehow managed to pop a brace off an hour after getting home. 🤦‍♀️ Hi friends! So I set up an Instagram account just for my cookies. If you like the cookies I make and want to follow this new account, I’d love to have you! @holly_bakes_
This current account is going back to more personal. 😊
Thanks!! #cookies #cookiedecorating #royalicingcookies #royalicing #cookiesofinstagram Valentine Pre-Sale and cookie class are up on the blog! Visit the blog (www.hollybakes.com), the link in profile, or click the link below for the form.

Gnome cutters- @sweetleighprinted
Plaque and mason jar cutters- @sheybdesigns
Hearts- @3dcookiecuttershop
Rose- @cutitoutcutters
#valentinecookies #royalicingcookies #royalicing #sugarcookies #sugarcookiesofinstagram #talentedcookiers #bakersofinstagram Birthday present from Eric—a 7 quart mixer. My hubby knows me well. 😊 Now, just where to store it... #kitchenaidmixer #birthdaypresent

Tags