Get the news right in your inbox!

Healthy Banana Bread

August 2, 2016 in breads - 6 Comments - 3 min read

IMG_5130

I have a problem.  Maybe you have this problem too.  It goes a little something like this: buy too many unripe bananas at the store; take home and set in a fruit bowl to ripen; all ripen at the same time; bananas coming out my ears; get tired of eating bananas; promptly forget about bananas and eat other fruit instead; bananas become overripe and almost gross-looking; certainly won’t eat bananas now; shove in freezer and forget about it completely.  Repeat process next week.

IMG_5132

And it certainly doesn’t help that every time my kids see bananas, they shout in their best Minion voice, “Bananas!”  Help me, please.  So when I opened the freezer last week and a few frozen bananas fell out onto the floor because I have too many shoved in the freezer, I realized I needed to do something about it.  Hence, banana bread.  I have posted another banana bread recipe here, and I think I talked about my problem then also–bahahah!  (If you’re looking for banana dessert recipes using very ripe bananas, try banana cake or banana cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.  You can’t go wrong with either of these!)

IMG_5139

I put the bananas whole in the freezer.  No need to peel, cut up, or put in a freezer bag.  When I’m reading to make something with it, I place it in a bowl on the counter to let it thaw, about 10-15 minutes.  Then I peel it and mash it and am ready to use it.

This banana bread recipe is a bit healthier than traditional banana bread because it uses whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour, honey to add sweetness and cut down on the sugar, and yogurt to add moisture.  I like adding toasted nuts, but you can omit it if that’s not your thing.  Either way, you can feel good about eating this.  Your tastebuds will thank you too.  Enjoy! xoxo

IMG_5142

Healthy Banana Bread

print recipe

2 sticks unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled

¾ c packed dark brown sugar

¼ c honey

2 large eggs

3 very ripe bananas, mashed

2 c whole wheat flour

1 ½ t baking soda

½ t salt

½ c plain yogurt (NOT non-fat) or low-fat sour cream

½ c walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a loaf pan with parchment or wax paper; set aside.  Place the nuts on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven for 7-9 minutes, until fragrant.  Set on a cooking rack to cool.  Once cool, chop in small chunks.

While the nuts are cooling, gently whisk the butter, brown sugar, and honey in a large bowl until it is all incorporated.  Add the eggs and bananas, mixing until it is almost fully incorporated.  In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt.  Working alternately with the flour mixture and the sour cream or yogurt, add about ⅓ of the flour mixture, folding it into the batter.  When there are no traces of flour, add small dollops of the sour cream or yogurt.  Do this two more times.  Fold in the toasted nuts.

Pour into loaf pan and bake for 70-75 minutes, or until a toothpick entered comes out clean.  Place on a wire rack to cool completely before pulling out of pan.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

(Any unused bread can be stored in foil or plastic wrap, at room temperature, for up to two days.)

adapted slightly from Butter Sugar Flour Eggs by Gale Gand

holly

Thanks for stopping by! I love baking and hope these recipes inspire you to create something wonderful in your kitchen. xoxo

All posts

6 Comments

• DrJodyHealthCoach January 26, 2017 at 5:07 pm

I love this banana bread! I had to modify it a bit due to my son’s dietary needs, but gluten free flour and oats, organic applesauce instead of sugar and a little sugar free maple syrup did the trick! Thanks for the great start to the recipe! :)

• holly January 27, 2017 at 12:46 am

Oh I am so glad that it worked for you! Thanks for letting me know. :)

• Morgan November 8, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Banana bread looks amazing!

• foodbycamilla August 6, 2016 at 9:39 am

This banana bread looks so good ;)

• Debbie Beilke August 4, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Made your Healthy Banana Bread recipe today and I like it! I will stick in my Quick bread section of my recipe notebook and plan on using it again. Thanks!!

• holly August 4, 2016 at 11:08 pm

I am so glad you liked it! Love that you stuck it in your quick breads section. :)

Top Posts

Valentine's Day Sugar Cookies

About Me

Hello and welcome! I am so glad you're here. On this blog you'll find recipes for delicious desserts and sugar cookie inspiration. Pull up a chair and stay awhile! Read More

Holly

Categories

Instagram

Grace got braces today! And somehow managed to pop a brace off an hour after getting home. 🤦‍♀️ Hi friends! So I set up an Instagram account just for my cookies. If you like the cookies I make and want to follow this new account, I’d love to have you! @holly_bakes_
This current account is going back to more personal. 😊
Thanks!! #cookies #cookiedecorating #royalicingcookies #royalicing #cookiesofinstagram Valentine Pre-Sale and cookie class are up on the blog! Visit the blog (www.hollybakes.com), the link in profile, or click the link below for the form.

Gnome cutters- @sweetleighprinted
Plaque and mason jar cutters- @sheybdesigns
Hearts- @3dcookiecuttershop
Rose- @cutitoutcutters
#valentinecookies #royalicingcookies #royalicing #sugarcookies #sugarcookiesofinstagram #talentedcookiers #bakersofinstagram Birthday present from Eric—a 7 quart mixer. My hubby knows me well. 😊 Now, just where to store it... #kitchenaidmixer #birthdaypresent Celebrating my birthday this weekend at the beach with close friends. (This House has an amazing view!!!) Thanks @rainasia @lacygiering @erinrgreatness @penner.natalie for joining me!!! 💞 You have made entering a new decade a little easier. #birthday #birthdaygirl #newdecade I am so excited to announce my first pre-sale and cookie class! Pre-sale pick-ups will be Sunday, January 26th from 1-4 PM. (Locals only, sorry.) Want to learn how to make these? I am offering a class on Saturday, January 18th from 1-4 PM at my house. (I live in Lake Oswego.) Link can be found here: https://forms.gle/CWGFSVhhCCrwbcRQA

More info is on my blog—holly bakes.com
Thanks for supporting my new adventure!! #wintersugarcookies #royalicingcookies #royalicing #sugarcookies #sugarcookiesofinstagram #cookieclass #bakersofinstagram

Tags